benefits of group running

Accountability

Running groups hold you accountable when that little voice in your head tries to convince you to skip the run. When there are others counting on you, you’re more likely to show up. One of the biggest reasons people stop running is because they lack this accountability.
Consistency

One of best ways to become a better runner is to do it more. Having a regular, weekly (daily in some cases) running group will help ensure that you stick with your running not only during race season, but in the middle of winter when it’s even harder to get those miles in.

Motivation through Running with a Group

From my experience, running with a group is incredibly motivating because there is ALWAYS someone who is faster than me. This motivates and encourages me to work hard. When you run with a group, everyone there knows what each other is going through, and that commiseration can motivate you all the way through your next race.
Learn from Others

Running with a group is also a great way to learn tips and tricks about becoming a better runner. Some running groups offer formal coaching or classes. Others simply offer a time, location and other people. In all settings, it’s virtually impossible NOT to learn from the collective wisdom of the group. Stick with it long enough, and all of that running experience will rub off. Runners tend to talk about running while running.
. Social Facilitation

There is actually some psychological benefits to running with a group. Social Facilitation is a social psychology term that means “an improvement in performance produced by the mere presence of others.” According to Cindra Kamphoff, Ph.D, when running with a group, “You get caught up in the pace, and you might not recognize how fast you’re going” she says. Your brain encourages you to keep up when you might have slowed down alone. I have found this to be true more time than I can count.

Running with other people creates an excitement that helps you run faster than you thought you could on your own.