Can i do yoga at home

Create a comfortable spot for your yoga practice

If you have an extra room that you can devote to your yoga, great! Having your yoga mat unrolled and out all the time is certainly inviting.

Yoga at homeMost of us will have to be more flexible and create a space when we want to practise. Try and find a spot where it’s peaceful and quiet, with as much space around you as possible. An empty piece of wall can be handy as well since the wall is a great prop. If you like, it can be nice and even helpful to create some atmosphere with a candle or an incense stick.

Things like candles and incense are just extras, and by no means necessary to practise yoga. You can be anywhere as long as you have enough space around you so you don’t bump into tables, chairs, etc. I have practised in the living room with my husband present, having his breakfast and reading his paper, even commenting now and then. Not ideal, but I still got my practice in, which is the most important message of this article.

So be creative and get on your mat no matter what! Create the best space you can and enjoy your practice!

Get your yoga accessories

All you really need is a yoga mat, preferably non-slip. There are many mats out there that work, but paying a little more usually does mean a yoga mat that is more resistant to slipping. You can also buy an organic mat, to be environmentally friendly. Blocks are great, especially if your body is tight, but they can be replaced with books and other household stuff. A bolster is super nice, but for years I used a stack of pillows and blankets instead.

With accessories, you have the same deal as with space, though: I have been in places where there was no yoga mat, and I found a piece of carpet to practise on. I have even practised on beds in hotel rooms where there was no space to roll out a mat. Just be creative… no excuses :slight_smile:

Stay safe, prevent injury

This is one tip with no shortcuts. Always watch your boundaries and especially be mindful of your body’s vulnerable areas. Particularly vulnerable areas are knees, hips, spine and neck. If you feel any painful sensations, adjust, soften, come out of the pose if you need to. Don’t force or push.

If you feel any painful sensations, adjust, soften, come out of the pose if you need to. Don’t force or push.
Warm up your body properly before attempting more advanced poses, and keep checking in if it feels okay to be in a pose. Be especially mindful during transitions between poses — these are moments of potential danger because we tend to pay less attention to our alignment at those moments.