home remedies colic babies

Rule out Baby Reflux
The first thing mamas will want to rule out is baby reflux. This condition will often mimic some of the same symptoms as baby colic and can be alleviated with natural remedies. A Homeopathic Remedy called Nat Phos 6X changed my daughter from a red, colicky child to a calm, happy baby. Be sure to look for the signs and symptoms of baby reflux and, if appropriate, treat this root cause of your baby’s crying.

If you are a breastfeeding mom, this is so essential. There are so many anatomical issues that could be causing your baby grief! Unfortunately, most pediatricians aren’t trained to spot these conditions so be sure you find an IBCLC-certified lactation consultant. Your baby could have a bad latch. She could be tongue-tied. He could be lip-tied. All of these issues could cause some major colic symptoms! You also want to be sure baby is getting enough hindmilk, which is higher in fat, calms the stomach, helps with digestion and promotes satiety. If your baby’s poop is greenish, frothy or mucuosy, this is usually a sign that he’s getting too much foremilk, which can cause digestive distress. This often happens when a breastfeeding mom has too fast a letdown or is having oversupply issues, which is very common in the first few months after giving birth. Consult with a lactation consultant and she can give you tons of tips on nursing positions, feeding strategies and any referrals if any follow up procedures are needed.

Follow a Clean Nursing Diet
If you’re a breastfeeding mama, you also want to give up foods that can trigger baby colic symptoms. Dairy is a huge culprit. So are other common allergens like wheat/gluten, eggs, shellfish, citrus, caffeine and spicy foods. While it’s certainly no fun to give up some of your favorite foods, it’s worth your effort. Babies immature digestive systems can react to various foods’ proteins in breast milk! You’ll want to eliminate these allergic foods and give it a good 2-4 weeks to be sure they are cleared from your body and milk. Look into Paleo recipes as these often are free of most common allergens.

reate some noise
The womb was not only snug but it was noisy. Between mama’s heartbeat and digestion, the sound in utero is intense. My childbirth educator said it’s the equivalent of having a vacuum cleaner on at all times! We like this noisemaker as it’s fan-based and not too intense. My brother ended up playing a hairdryer CD on repeat to keep his baby boy asleep at night! I’ve also heard amazing things about the Sleep Genius app. When we soothe baby to sleep, we can also make ssshhing noises (learned about from “The Happiest Baby on the Block”) or hum loudly. This noise can often refocus their attention, comfort them and reduce crying overall.