how to help your child handle rejection

Let them face the rejection. Since rejection is a part of life, letting your child face rejection at one time or another is both healthy and realistic. “Sometimes, kids need time to process how they feel about a rejection,” Devra says. “It’s okay to give them time. Similarly, it is okay to give yourself time to sort out how you might feel about it before speaking to your child about it. Many times we jump into ‘Save’ mode and then realize later we could have looked longer before we emotionally leaped.”

Listen and comfort. Sometimes kids just want to vent and be heard. Be a shoulder to lean on. Pass the tissues. Do whatever your child needs to get through this experience (within reason).

Keep your emotions in check. It would have been easy with both my son and daughter for me to get angry or upset for them but that would have helped no one. The mama bear instinct kicks in, and I want to right all of the perceived wrongs that my children face or hunt down the person who has wronged my child. But sometimes rejection is a battle your kids have to learn to face themselves.