how to tell others about ibs

When telling others about your IBS, keep it simple and discuss your digestive issues in a matter-of-fact way. Here are some examples:

“I would like to tell you something about myself. I have IBS? Do you know what that is? It is a digestive disorder and for me it means that I have to be close to a bathroom at all times.”
“I have IBS. Because of that it makes it hard for me to commit myself to things. I try but I never know until the last minute if I will be well enough to attend something.”

“I suffer from IBS and therefore I need to be very careful about what I eat. Things that other people can eat without a problem can result in my having to deal with a great deal of pain or stomach upset. Thanks for your concern, but I do best when I can just manage my food on my own.”
“Thank you for your ideas about my IBS, but I know my body best. What works for others may not work for me. I have learned what things help and what things make it worse.”

“I have IBS and my symptoms are worse in the morning. Thus, it is better for me to make plans or appointments later in the day.”
“IBS is not just something in my head. It is a true digestive disorder that can be made worse by stress, but is not caused by stress. There is no cure for it yet, so I have to work hard at it to try to keep if from overtaking my life.”