make healthy choices at mexican restaurants

Guacamole & Veggies

“For an appetizer or a dish for the table to share, guacamole is a favorite. Avocados are packed with heart-healthy and anti-inflammatory nutrients and its fat content can help quell pre-dinner hunger pangs. Instead of dipping chips in your guac, ask for some cut vegetables. This adds healthy nutrients to your meal while saving calories.” — Isabel Smith, MS, RD, CDN, registered dietitian and founder of Isabel Smith Nutrition

Tortilla Soup

“It could just be my love of anything with avocados, but in my eyes, few things beat a bowl of authentic tortilla soup. It’s nourishing, comforting and satisfying—but doesn’t carry a lot of calories. It’s perfect for a light meal or appetizer.” — Marisa Moore, RDN of Marisa Moore Nutrition

Grilled Shrimp Salad

“Even if it’s not on the menu, you can usually get a grilled shrimp salad at any Mexican restaurant. Salad veggies are packed with healthy nutrients like fiber, and the grilled shrimp provides protein and healthy omega-3 fatty acids. They key with any salad, though, is to watch the amount of dressing used, so I’ll often ask for a light balsamic dressing on the side. The grilled shrimp adds a lot of flavor, so I can use less dressing without sacrificing taste.” — Patricia Bannan, MS, RDN, author of Eat Right When Time is Tight