tips for weight loss when you have a food allergy

Twenty-eight of the 96 items that I had tested came back positive for a food sensitivity, some more severe than others. Among the higher sensitivities were egg yolk and egg white as well as baker’s yeast, banana, pineapple, and cow’s milk.

As a result, I was set up with a plan to eliminate the higher Class 3 sensitivities (egg yolk, pineapple, and baker’s yeast) for six months and the Class 2 sensitivities (banana, egg white, and cow’s milk) for three months. The remaining Class 1 items could be rotated every four days.

Eggs had been a part of my daily breakfast as well as other meals I had throughout the day, but I knew they had to go. Instantly I felt better and lighter on my new elimination diet. But it was hard to stick to, and slowly I started to fall off the wagon.

When I met with my new registered dietitia, a month ago, she strongly suggested I pay closer attention to my food sensitivities. She pointed out that eliminating the eggs has a lot to do with why I’ve been losing lots of inches, but I would be even better off if I eliminated all of my higher-scale sensitivities.

She explained that these foods can cause a delayed and subtle onset of internal inflammation and stimulation of the immune system, and the more foods I consume that my body is sensitive to, the more inflamed my body can get. This means I’m likely not digesting, absorbing, or utilizing nutrients effectively—all of which negatively impacts metabolism, weight, and energy production. “Wow!” was my first thought. It’s not fat but rather inflammation causing my larger clothing sizes.

With this in mind, I started paying closer attention to my 2 and 3-class food sensitivities again and did a pretty good job at eliminating them from my diet.

recently when I was on the road with my family, we went to a restaurant that had only sandwiches on the menu. There weren’t any really great choices for me, but the family was very hungry and I wasn’t about to haul them out the door in search of another restaurant. I made the bold decision to order a Reuben sandwich with plans to skip the fries. Not only was I eating yeast (bread) but also dairy (cheese).

While the sandwich was delicious, boy did I regret it! Within a couple of hours my stomach was swollen, my clothes felt tight, and—the worst—my belly hurt for nearly three days. I was miserable.

Immediately I went back to my healthy way of life and eliminated my food sensitivities. I’ve felt great ever since—man, did I learn my lesson! Good-bye, internal inflammation! Hello, thinner, healthier body!