title boxing club power hour what to expect

Title Boxing Club Offers Clean and Open Facilities
When you walk into a Title Boxing Club, you’re greeted by a wide entryway that opens to a large room filled with heavy bags and a boxing ring. There are benches, water fountains, bathrooms, and lockers, all available for use.

The staff is friendly and welcoming—there are no hulking boxers soaked in blood and sweat waiting to beat you into submission.

Because Title Boxing is a franchise, you can expect every location to look similar and to be managed according to the same general principles, although there may be slight variations in tone and atmosphere based on specific ownership.

The Staff Are Friendly and Helpful
The Power Hour class is an actual boxing class. This means you need wraps, gloves, and access to a bag. If you’re new, you don’t have to worry—club staff will help you get wrapped and gloved up by providing you with access to loaner gloves and a pair of wraps. Keep in mind, you may have to pay a nominal fee to buy the wraps, but trust me, you don’t really want to use wraps previously worn by someone else. It’s a small price to pay, both literally and metaphorically.

The club manager at the North Austin location wrapped my hands, giving me a tutorial on how it’s done. Then he outfitted me with a pair of loaner gloves and suggested I “claim” a heavy bag close to the instructor. The manager and instructor then gave me a rundown of what a typical class entails:

15 minutes of warmup and conditioning exercises
8, 3-minute rounds of boxing exercises (a total of 24 minutes)
15 minutes of core work
The entire class is designed to last 54 minutes and will target every muscle from head to toe.

The Class Promotes a Team-Like Atmosphere
I’d previously taken a 9Round kickboxing class, so I thought I knew what to expect. I was only sort of right.

The Power Hour class is almost twice as long as the 9Round circuit (which is a 30-minute workout), so while there were similarities between the two, there were quite a few differences.

First, Power Hour is an instructor-led group fitness class, while 9Round is a self-directed circuit. The group fitness atmosphere of Power Hour lends itself to greater class camaraderie and teamwork. In fact, many of the exercises involved partner work, where both partners punched the same heavy bag at the same time, or passed a medicine ball back and forth. The class I attended was relatively small (about 10 participants), and I had the chance to speak with and work with several classmates. Everyone was friendly, welcoming, and encouraging.

The instructor-led format was also a nice feature. The instructor did much of the class along with us, so it was easy to get a feel for the proper form by following his lead.

He also made a point of circling the class, correcting form, offering constant motivation, and providing a steady countdown of each exercise’s remaining time. The club manager even got in on the action by walking through the class with punching mitts, working individually with each participant to help them improve hand-eye coordination and speed.