warning signs symptoms mold toxicity must know


The first common warning sign of black mold toxicity is frequent headaches.

Exposure to an area with black mold for several hours can trigger a headache as a result of an allergic reaction to mold spores in the air. The headache can also be due to inflammation of the mucous membranes in the nasal cavities.

frequent headaches

When working or sitting around black mold and inhaling the air, your head will start throbbing. This is a sign that your body is trying to fight off the spores that are entering your system. The headache will get better once you leave the area and go into an open space and start inhaling fresh air.

If you are spending time in a mold-affected home or office and you get frequent headaches, it’s time to take the problem seriously before your headaches take a toll on your health.

Watery and Itchy Eyes

Another warning sign of black mold poisoning is watery and itchy eyes.

Mycotoxins present in the air due to mold can easily enter your eyes. When the mycotoxins come into contact with the cells in your eyes, they cause your eyes to water and become itchy.

watery and itchy eyes

You may also notice your throat becoming itchy. This is a common issue related to black mold toxicity.

Other eye problems include inflammation in the eyes, soreness, bloodshot eyes and blurry vision, to name a few.

Excessive Coughing

The third common warning sign of black mold exposure is excessive coughing and mucus.

Not everyone exposed to mold develops a cough, but many people do, especially with prolonged exposure. Infants, small children, elderly people and those with respiratory or immune system disorders are at an increased risk of developing a cough due to mold.

excessive coughing

Even a small patch of black mold produces several mold spores, which can easily become airborne. Once inhaled, these spores can irritate the sensitive lining of the throat, causing a cough.

In the long run, heavy exposure to mold can also lead to bronchitis and pneumonia, which also cause coughing.

As a cough can be caused by a cold or other respiratory viruses, influenza, seasonal allergies, bronchitis and pneumonia, you must see a doctor to find out what exactly is causing you to cough.

Frequent Asthma Attacks

Another common warning sign of mold toxicity is frequent asthma attacks. Mold spores can deposit on the lining of the nose and can reach the lungs to cause asthma.

Exposure to mold can make symptoms worse in people previously diagnosed with asthma. They may start having asthma attacks more often, attacks may last longer and they may seem more severe. Medications that previously helped may not provide relief from the symptoms.