What alternative therapies can help with osteoarthritis?

Acupuncture

Cohen tried this method but gave up after a few weeks. “To be honest, I didn’t get relief,” she says. But that doesn’t mean you won’t.

When you get acupuncture, a licensed professional puts thin needles into your body at different points. It’s a traditional Chinese form of medicine.

There are mixed results from research. Some studies show people feel better after acupuncture, but others show it doesn’t make much difference.

If you want to try it, look for a licensed practitioner. Give yourself enough time to see if you get any improvement. It may take three or more sessions. The results may last about a month or so.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Cohen takes an assortment of supplements to treat her OA, including glucosamine and chondroitin.

Neeraj Gupta, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at the Southern California Orthopaedic Center, says a combination of those two supplements is a good idea. He recommends it to all his OA patients. The typical dose is 500-1,500 milligrams a day.

“I have personally taken it for my knee for over 5 years,” Gupta says. “After stopping for several weeks, I certainly do feel increased pain in my knee joint.”

But it hasn’t been scientifically proven. If you already take glucosamine and chondroitin, it’s OK to keep it up. But the American College of Rheumatology doesn’t recommend you start taking them to treat your OA.

Tai Chi

This traditional Chinese form of exercise can strengthen your muscles, help your coordination, and make your joint more stable. If you keep at it, you won’t hurt as much in the long run. In one study, people who took tai chi classes twice a week for 12 weeks felt better up to a year later.

If you try it, move through poses slowly and gently. Take a one-hour class, 1-2 times a week.