One of the most delicious members of the superfood squad — aka the cool kids of the food pyramid — is a fruit you’ve probably seen all over your Instagram feed. Açaí (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) is best known for being the not-so-secret ingredient in picture-perfect smoothie bowls, but there’s more to these berries than just their good looks.
Found on açaí palm trees in South American rainforests, açaí berries are a lot like grapes. The seed takes up about 80 percent of the berry, but the flesh and skin pack plenty of vitamins and other nutrients in the remaining 20 percent. Not to mention the berries are only about 70 calories a cup.
There’s no proof with açaí berries specifically, but eating a diet rich in fruit and vegetables, as well as exercising regularly, can help you lose weight.
There’s no proof with açaí berries specifically, but all berries contain anthocyanins that have been found to have an anti-inflammatory effect that can help ease the symptoms, says the Arthritis Foundation.
- High Cholesterol
There’s no proof with açaí berries specifically, but eating more fiber from fruit, vegetables, beans, and other sources can help lower cholesterol levels.