Community

alcohol enemas can be fatal

An alcohol enema, also known colloquially as butt-chugging, is the act of introducing alcohol into the rectum and colon via the anus. This method of alcohol consumption can be dangerous because it leads to faster intoxication since the alcohol is absorbed directly into the bloodstream and neutralizes the body’s ability to reject the toxin by vomiting.

An alcohol enema is a faster method of alcohol intoxication since the alcohol is absorbed directly into the bloodstream. The lower gastrointestinal tract lacks the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme present in the stomach and liver that breaks down ethanol into acetylaledhyde. Acetylaldehyde is actually more toxic than ethanol (drinking alcohol) and is responsible for most chronic effects of ethanol. When anally absorbed, ethanol will still eventually arrive at the liver, but the high alcohol content could overwhelm the organ. Additionally, consuming the alcohol rectally neutralizes the body’s ability to reject the toxin by vomiting.

Overall, experts believe that alcohol enemas are a dangerous method to consume alcohol, as it can be harder to control the dose