exercises stretches for strong knees

ANKLE BAND DISTRACTIONS
One of the main functions of the ankle is to hinge, enabling the knee and hip to synergistically work together in creating movement. Stiff, rigid ankles are common, which can lead to injury and discomfort. Band distractions serve to “floss” stubborn joints. They can enhance range of motion, get nutrients into cartilage and alleviate pain.

How To Do It:
Loop one end of a band around a sturdy base and the other around your ankle. Drop into staggered stance, with the banded leg in front of the non banded leg. Inch out until you feel tension and then drive the knee forward as far as you comfortably can. Keep the banded foot firmly on the ground (not up on your tippy toes) Feel free to rotate the ankle side to side as you drive the knee back and forth. Repeat on both sides for 45 seconds each.

ROLL OUT YOUR SHINS
Foam rolling is a tremendous tool for soft tissue work. Fitness enthusiasts use it for their hips, lower back and other trouble zones that can get irritated with frequent use. But there is an area that I rarely see being attacked in my day to day gym-goings- The shins. Perhaps it’s because it’s a tougher group to really hit, or just an oversight because it typically doesn’t feel horrendous. But don’t simply blindly chase pain. Even if that area doesn’t hurt, it could be a big factor contributing to knee issues. In my experience (not 100% mind you) people who suffer from some degree of anterior knee pain feel a great deal of discomfort while trying this movement.

How To Do It
Get into a pushup position with a roller at the base of your ankles. Turn your toe in towards the midline of your body in order to expose the muscles of the shin and address them. Press your shins firmly down on the roller and gradually inch up towards your knee. You completely control the pressure in this movement. For more intensity really lay your body weight into the foam, for less ease back on the throttle. I like trying to move my foot up and down during the rolling and search for hot spots. 45 seconds to a minute on each leg should suffice and free up those important lower leg muscles

WALL QUAD STRETCH
The wall based quad stretch is a tremendous bang for your buck move that can be done just about anywhere. Got a wall? Good you can do this exercise. The beauty in this stretch is that it hits the front of the foot, ankles, shins, quads and knees.

How To Do It
Get up against the wall (facing away from the wall) in the bottom of a lunge position. Flip your back foot up against the wall with your toes on the actual surface of the wall. Your back knee is the axis point and really determines how much of a stretch you will get during this exercise. The closer the back knee is to the wall the more of a stretch there will be through the foot, ankle and quads. If you are looking to get a little adventurous and want to stretch the hip flexors out, focus on pushing the hips forward.

Man With Knee Brace
Pages

NEXT
TOPICS: STRENGTH TRAINING STRETCHING BUILD MUSCLE
YOU MAY LIKE
Iraqi Wins Huge US Lottery, Americans Furious, Asians Follow in his Footsteps
theLotter.com
8 Things To Avoid When Pregnant
doctor.ndtv.com
Doing International Business? Get Better Rates On Payments
Payoneer Plus
You’ll Be Amazed by the Value of Your Car [Check Here]
Orange Book Value
Visit the Most Iconic Project of Talegaon. Get Discounts up to 2.5 Lacs. Apartments starting 25 Lacs only.
Namrata’s Aikonic
Leftover iPhone stocks worth $619 selling for under $40!
Madbid.com
This 3 BHK Residence in Khar Comes with Poolside Cabanas
Rustomjee
Beginner’s Guide to Investments
DSP Blackrock Mutual Fund
Get Medical Cover of 5 Lac For Parents & Family + Tax Benefit (80-D)
PolicyX
by Taboola Sponsored Links
COMMENTS

66 Comments
SubscribeRSS

3 days ago
Tim
I found the above article very useful as I have knee pain from a pre-existing injury, however, I was a little unsure on which way to be facing (away from the band) on some of the exercises?
LikeReplyShare0

121 days ago
Lenora Devon^^
This New System Says You don’t need weights and gym to Get amazing results. Get 6 Pack Abs Without Weights At Home… Check My Honest Review Before You Choose The Wrong Way;

http://bit.ly/2eYESqn
LikeReplyShare0

125 days ago
C.k. Sobti
each exercise must be illustrated for better explanation
LikeReplyShare0

137 days ago
Richard Corser
Croc, if you want strong knees try Hindu squats, don’t over do it (3X per week) and make it your last exercise for the day.
LikeReplyShare0

138 days ago
Hari Krishna
Interesting, Simple to follow as well to make knees stronger.
LikeReplyShare0

150 days ago
Mustapha Warwade
is gud 2 see true
LikeReplyShare0

165 days ago
Chrisa
Lots of requests for pictures… how about a short video for each. Happen to be suffering severe knee pain for last couple weeks and was very disappointed when I clicked on this! I think these have potential if this non gym rat could see how they’re executed.
LikeReplyShare2

178 days ago
Ann Roach
Too many ads, can’t maneuver…
LikeReplyShare1

201 days ago
Merryl
The descriptions are as clear as mud.
LikeReplyShare0

205 days ago
Moshe Epstein
i need pictures.Thanks

LikeReplyShare2

211 days ago
guest1112
terrible guide
LikeReplyShare1

219 days ago
Jenny
no pictures? can you please post some pictures?
LikeReplyShare1

288 days ago
Katie Delilah^-
WARNING: If you decide to build your body, Please make sure you spend just 20 seconds seeing my review of this GOLDEN PLAN about muscle building

http://bit.do/cbLGe
LikeReplyShare2 replies0

221 days ago
aaa
no
LikeReplyShare0

166 days ago
shara
why? no
LikeReplyShare0

397 days ago
mar
Videos are a must
LikeReplyShare1

474 days ago
CASA
thank you, although no pictures these have proved very useful exercises for me
LikeReplyShare2 replies1

430 days ago
على طاووس
yeah really that’ll be better
LikeReplyShare0

166 days ago
shara
what r u thanking about ? there’s isnt anything that deserves the merit… nonsense
LikeReplyShare0

671 days ago
Eden Aslan
Thank you for share

Get Bigger Stronger Muscles With The Muscle Maximizer
http://tinyurl.com/nkth43u
LikeReplyShare0

698 days ago
chris
Once again pictures that are irrelevant and no videos. Unfollowing m&s finally
LikeReplyShare0

701 days ago
Mike
My brain just got fried!
LikeReplyShare0

701 days ago
ALi
Really hard to understand without pictures or video.
LikeReplyShare2

701 days ago
Tim
Totally incomprehensible without videos.
LikeReplyShare1

702 days ago
Roby Jacob
this is written by someone that doesnt work out?! watch a ct fletcher video and lift weak sauce

LikeReplyShare0

705 days ago
Cipriano Perez
Vídeos gracias
LikeReplyShare0

733 days ago
Kate
I have worked years in a gym, but cannot visualize the TFL distraction technique. Is the band anchored in FRONT of you, beside you or behind you? Are you pulling away from the anchor or allowing the band to facilitate the “stretch”?
LikeReplyShare0

733 days ago
Kate
I have worked years in a gym, but cannot visualize the TFL distraction technique. Is the band anchored in FRONT of you, beside you or behind you? Are you pulling away from the anchor or allowing the band to facilitate the “stretch”?
LikeReplyShare0

733 days ago
Kate
LikeReplyShare0
Show more comments

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP
Need help achieving your fitness goals? The Muscle & Fitness newsletter will provide you with the best workouts, meal plans and supplement advice to get there.

Enter Your Email Address
SUBMIT

Home / Workouts / Workout Tips
LATEST IN WORKOUTS

BACK TO WORKOUTS
Man Exercising Outdoors On Phone thumbnail
PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN AND WORK OUT
Bodybuilder Performing Back Row Exercise thumbnail
CLUSTER SETS FOR A QUICK WORKOUT
Boxing thumbnail
POUND-FOR-POUND BOXER’S WORKOUT
Bulgarian Split Squat thumbnail
BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUAT DILEMMA: BALANCING
Phil Heath Flexing His Muscles thumbnail
GET A BACK LIKE PHIL HEATH
Barbell Hip Thrust thumbnail
WHY AND HOW YOU SHOULD TRAIN YOUR GLUTES
Man running outdoors with sky behind him thumbnail
LEAN MUSCLE CARDIO WORKOUT GUIDELINES
Robert Timms: IFFB Classic Physique thumbnail
ROBERT TIMMS’ UPPER-BODY WORKOUT
lying ez-bar triceps extension thumbnail
THE TRIED-AND-TRUE TRICEPS WORKOUT
J.J. Watt Box Jump thumbnail
HOW TO DO BOX JUMPS LIKE J.J. WATT
What a Fit Guy Needs to Know About Hyperhidrosis thumbnail
3 REASONS YOU’RE NOT RIPPED
SEE MORE
Workouts
Nutrition
Athletes & Celebrities
Features
Videos
Sitemap
MORE MUSCLE
Subscribe
Free Newsletters
Customer Service
INFO
About Us
Contact Us
Advertise
International Media Kit
Media Kit
RSS Feed
AMERICAN MEDIA, INC.
Muscleandfitness.com is part of American Media, Inc. Fitness & Health Network.

Visit more of our sites:

Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2017 Weider Publications, LLC, a subsidiary of American Media, Inc. All rights reserved.