home remedies for colds and coughs in babies

Breast milk

Breast milk is a wonder drink. So babies under 6 months do not need any other medication other than breast milk during cold and cough to fight off the virus and bacteria.

As you know breast milk is loaded with antibodies. These antibodies present in breast milk helps the baby’s body to build immunity against all types of germs, viruses and bacteria. It also helps to keep your little one properly hydrated.

Nasal saline drops

This has proven effective in my case and I almost nicknamed it my savior. It has helped in clearing her nose and prevents crusting. It also makes cleaning the nose way easier and comparatively tear free.

I am sure your pediatrician would have prescribed pediatric saline drops for infants for your little one. Make sure you follow what your doctor or his prescription says.

The general rule is to clean the nostrils gently and then to put the drops in. Keep the head tilted so that the medicine doesn’t flow out

Garlic and Ajwain Potli (pouch)

Garlic and Ajwain (carom seeds) are known for its anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. So these two combined can prove to be pretty powerful and it makes a strong weapon against cold and congestion. But don’t let the name scare you, it is actually very easy to put together.

You need 3 things to make this potli or pouch- garlic, carom seeds and a clean muslin cloth.

Dry roast 2 big cloves of garlic and 1 tablespoon of ajwain on a tawa. Wait for it to cool and once cooled make it into a potli or tight pouch. You can do that with the help of a clean muslin cloth.

Place this potli in the baby cot or cradle where baby sleeps. The garlicky ajwain smoke emanating from the potli will help the baby as it helps to open the blocked nose and provides relief from congestion.

Panikoorka

A fleshy perennial plant, widely found in South India called panikoorka is used for treating cough, fever, sore throat and congestion in babies.

Known as Indian borage, patta ajwain, patthar choor, karpooravalli or navarayila, Its a natural anti pyretic and expectorant. The fleshy aromatic leaves are wilted on the stove top, cooled and then put on the baby’s forehead. The leaves dry up indicating the absorption of water relieving the baby from cough/congestion.