Is it advisable to drink alcohol while having a bad gout?

One thing you should be aware of is that the alcohol industry is not obligated to report ingredients on labels and the industry has lobbied for years to keep it this way in order to protect its recipes but more importantly to hide ingredients that are simply bad for you.

For example, Newcastle beer contains caramel coloring made from ammonia which is categorized as a carcinogen which can cause you cancer! Corona beer from Mexico contains GMO corn syrup which is very similar to high fructose corn syrup and propylene glycol. Michelob Ultra beer is said to contain a genetically modified sweetener also called GMO dextrose. Next up, the king of beers Budweiser has been found to contain generically modified GMO corn and the other popular beer Miller Lite contains GMO corn and corn syrup to sweeten the taste just like Coca-Cola and Pepsi does, so does the beer industry do the same as well as hard liquor companies.

So you can understand why alcohol nowadays is responsible for so many gout attacks around the world. Guinness beer which was one of my favorite beers due to its’ creamy smoothness, contains high fructose corn syrup but also fish bladder! Why did they do that? Beats me! I remember saying to myself after a few gout attacks, “I’ll only stick to Coors light beer from now on since it’s low on calories, has a light taste and doesn’t bloat you as much”, …well I sadly discovered later on that it too contains GMO corn syrup.

While I don’t recommend you drink beer if you suffer from gout, if you choose to have a drink at a friend’s BBQ party and consider having one and hopefully just one, then consider an organic beer that is brewed locally with organic ingredients. Stay away from American beers since many of them have GMO. Heineken beer would be my first choice or an Amstel Light but please don’t have more than one beer.