what to do after a panic attack

Replenish Your Body

Since your body was just put through the ringer, you’re going to want to replenish it in as many ways as possible — kind of like you would with a real hangover. As Barton suggests, you should rest, drink plenty of fluids, restore your electrolytes (think Gatorade), and eat a good meal. Covering all these bases will hopefully set things right, and help you feel better sooner rather than later.

Focus Your Attention On Something Else

After a panic attack, your personal thoughts and energy can zone in on your anxiety and symptoms, according to Katharina Star, PhD, on VeryWell.com. So lying around and mulling it over isn’t always the best idea. Instead, you’ll want to focus your attention elsewhere, like on a relaxing task or hobby. Occupying your mind will ward off negative thoughts, and help keep the panicky feelings at bay.

Think Of Positive Mantras

Yes, panic attacks can leave you feeling pretty crummy physically. But they can also have quite the mental affect, too. You might feel that depression I was talking about, or a sense of embarrassment (even though you shouldn’t.) You might even feel some intense brain fog. If any of that’s the case, it can help to think positive thoughts. As Star said, “… try using positive self-talk and affirmations to enhance your mood and gain a sense of control.” Thinking along the lines of “I am in control of my anxiety” can help.