why parents carry babies on the left hip

For dads, the left-side bias shows too, but not until they have kids. Unlike women who show the preference as small children, it doesn’t happen for dudes until they’re actually taking care of a baby. Like it or not, women appear to be literally born with a nurturing instinct that men have to foster once they become fathers.

If you’re like me and favor holding babies on your right side, it doesn’t make you a freak of nature. Just unique, apparently. However, there’s research to suggest that those who prefer their left side have better relationships with their own parents while right-sided holders tend to be more anxious about pregnancy and parenting. Which for me, at least when my kids were super little, was accurate.

That said, while these things are fascinating to learn about, it doesn’t amount to much when it comes to what kinds of parents we are. It’s nice to know that Mother Nature is looking out and trying to make our brains and bodies jive, but just because I’m a right-side holder for life doesn’t mean I’m not in tune with my kids and their needs.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go sling my tween over my left hip to see if it helps her obey my commands to clean her room.