Side effects of Divya Mukta Vati (used for High Blood Pressure)?

I had my BP ~ 85/130 while I was taking one tb Atenelol 25 mg daily. I began with Divya Mukta vati 2 tbs morning and 2 tbs evening with warm water. I had severe cold: my nose ran days and nights. I tried it for 1 week. When cold did not go away, I stopped taking it. Then, after one week, I again tried 2 tbs morning and 2 tbs evening. This time, I did not get any cold at all. I take it with regular water. Means, I do not have to take it with warm water. Its around 3 months since I have been taking muktavati. Now, I am feeling very tired. When I get up morning, I do not feel as fresh as I used to. During noon around 2/3 pm, I started feeling very tired. My job is not hard working. I have wt: 150 lbs, ht: 6’. I am healthy. I do Pranayam for 40 minutes daily and some exercises for 10 minutes. I walk for 40 minutes per day 3 days a week. My diet is veg and no junk food.

I do not see any significance difference in BP. For last 2 weeks, I cut down my Atenelol to 1/2. Now, my BP: ~ 75/128. I see improvement in lower value of BP.

I think, if you have nasal problem, try to give some gap for example a week or so to respond your body. It might create some defensive mechanism to cold. On the forum, please write your comments with details: how much dosage you took and for how long etc.

Can someone give me advice how much is dosage should be in my case and for how long to see difference in higher value of BP? Or any advice is appreciated.

Thank you all.

I am taking mukta vati 2 tabs. morning and 2 tabs. in the evening and I am experience a side effect sleepiness and heaviness in the eyes just like I should sleep right now … is it a side effect of the Divya Mukta Vati Please reply…

It is nonsensical to say Divya Mukta Vati–or for the matter any medicine, allopathic or herbal— has no side effects.
The main herbal ingredient for bringing down BP in Muktavati is Sarpagandha. Though Sarpaganda is herbal, the drug it contains is reserpine. One of the negative (or positive impact) of reserpine is that it brings down BP fast/steeply instead of a gradual reduction. To the best of my knowledge, it also does not regulate BP. Instead it depresses it.It also has a mild sedative effect and has often been used for treating both insomnia and mental illnesses.

I am taking a small dose of Divya Muktavati, but have wondering if it may not be more worthwhile (and perhaps safer) to go for an compound which regulates BP. Have to take a call soon.
If you wish to learn more about reserpine, you may google for information

Your observation is very correct. I m taking 1 tab DMV daily for more than one year. It has given me relief from HBP but the nasal congestion and breathlessness is a serious issue and all needs to be informed about it. Now i m going to reduce the dose to half tab daily to reduce the side-effects. Hope it will work.

1 Like

Yes, I have been taking DMV for last 3 years once a day for my HBP. I find it is effective. But it has all the mentioned side-effects even in my case-

1. Nasal congestion, 2. Breathlessness at night, 3. Feeling excessive cold in winter,
  2. Pain in both knees 5. General lethargy
    To say that it is without side-effect is not a correct fact. More evaluation is needed in this case. But it does help in reducing HBP. So it is better to take it under proper medical guidance only and in correct dose. I am now seriously thinking of stopping DMV and taking some other medicine. Nobody should claim that being an Ayurvedic medicine, it is without any side-effect.

I agree–no problems with nasal congestion at all. I have taken it for 7 months and only experienced 10 pounds weight gain after maintaining my previous weight for 15 years. Anyone have weight gain issues?

No side effect of this medicine, I used

Probably you taking too much? Is not?

Hi
I have been taking Muktavati for 12 years. The only side effect I have is nasal congestion when I am sleeping. I really don’t know if it is because of Muktavati or natural.

I have been taking DMV since 7 months, I have nasel congestion every early morning and at night. I have put on 4kg weight. Have anyone got a problem of weight gain after taking DMV

i started taking mukta vati a year ago and it has wokred very well om my bp but i lost sense of smell, its been a year and i dont smell anything, has anyone lost sense of smell otaking mukta vati ?

I never heard anyone complaining about smell, I know many people take Mukta vati but all complained about nasal congestion.

Have you started any other medication or made any changes in your diet? that might impact.

take DMV with milk or with on capsule of cod liver oil and no nasal congestion.

yes i am also facing same problem, 1. Nasal congestion, 2. Breathlessness at night & day also, 3. General lethargy
I also say that it is without side-effect is not a correct fact.

I had awful sinus congestion, and vocal cord “roughness” (like some kind of “buildup” on my vocal cords) using the Ivy brand of Muta Vati. The Divya Mukta Vati worked better for me and did not give me the congestion as bad. What continues, I can manage with nasal spray (but I imagine that has it’s own side effects).

Also, I heard somewhere that foot pain was associated with Mukta Vati (any brand), and I did experience that a few times at the high doeses (2x2x2) that I have to take to get my BP down. I quit the MV for a while (in between orders) and it went away. And when I resumed MV, I have nott seen this symptom return again.

It seem that Ivy’s Mukta Vati is better than Divyas. I’ve read that this person had a better experience with Ivy’s.

I also have 10 pounds weight gain within 1 year of use.

My BP is down and thanks to MVati, started on it since it claims no sideeffects

I started Mukta vati about 2 weeks ago and I didn’t realise this at first.It casues severe nasal congestion and while I try to do my breathing excercise it makes it worse!!

Another question is if its herbal why can’t you use it during pregnancy?

And they say one can discontinue taking MVati ,I doubt that ,when you practce pranayam (anulom vilom) simulateneously,my question is how do you do that when your nostrils BLOCKED?

So you keep buying Mukta vati like other medications for the restof your lifetime!?

I began taking Mukta Vati in May and almost immediately got what I thought was late onset of Hay fever, every night I am congested and use Oltrivine to breathe. BUT my blood pressure is fantastic so I put up with the side effects.

I started taking Divya Mukta Vati about a month ago (2 tablets in the morning and in the evening on an empty stomach) and here are some side effects I have noticed:

1. nasal congestion. For me, it’s not only at night, but during the day too (although I think because I’m laying down at night that it is worse then)

2. lethargy. I feel fatigued all the time.

3. BM issues. No one else seems to have mentioned this, but after the morning dose, I usually ‘have’ to go again mid-morning and it is very soft oftentimes bordering on diarrhea. And those BMs are after my regular morning movement.

But, despite these issues, this stuff does work. I went from 150’s/100’s to 140s/90 w’in a few days.

I will try cutting back to 1 tablet per dose to see if that alleviates some of these effects.